Tuesday, July 20, 2010

It was a GROOVY cloud, man

[Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to read this. I only blog because I like to make y'all laugh and think a little harder about stuff. :) I hope you have a great day!!! And thanks for commenting. Oh, yeah, and I re-added the "Followers" tab. Feel free to add yourself/invite your friends, please!]

Driving from Dino Event Trois yesterday, we encountered some LUV-LEH weather. Meaning no, we did not have peachy-keen weather all day. Just for five measly hours. But then the clock strikes five o'clock and our pretty weather is UP. Hence, I shall try to describe to you as best I can this rather creepy phenomenon.

We casually leave Ye Olde Amish Candy Emporium only to be greeted by a simply GINORMOUS blue cloud. The color blue as in someone-spilled-ink-on-my-sheets color. So we hustle into the car and zoom down the interstate. And we drive, and we drive, and we drive, and guess what: we drive. And soon everything as viewed by my parents (who are in the front seat) is très belle, with nary a cloud in the sky. However, from the limited view of the back seat where my little brother and I are sitting, it is obvious that everything is NOT OKAY. I mean, gosh, I'm not even getting a sunburn from sitting by the window. And as we wait for cows to cross the road, I notice that the clouds are starting to form puffy rings with distinct borders, a characteristic of storms most often seen in Disney films. I'm sure you all are familiar with it. My mom chooses this moment to shout "OHMIGOSH I FORGOT MY LAUNDRY" because evidently, stopping at the aforementioned Ye Olde Amish Candy Emporium had slowed us down considerably.

Oops. Sorry, dry laundry.

But we watch the Disneytastic cloud until AN EYE FORMS. WITH BLUE SKY, GOLDEN CLOUDS, AND RAYS OF SUNSHINE. I AM NOT KIDDING. I WAS SERIOUSLY WAITING FOR THE BIRDS TO START CHIRPING AND ALL WARS TO CEASE. However, the birds stayed silent and I did not hear shouts of annoyance/relief from the houses with cable, so I assumed life was normal.

Then we drive on some more, and it becomes obvious that the clouds are stalking us. I'm not sure why this always happens. There was that one storm that came in on all sides and surrounded my house. That was creepy. And my mom is still freaking out about the laundry when I notice that the blue sky has become completely overrun and that half the sky is gray and the other side is I-spilled-ink-on-your-sheets-let-it-dry-and-then-repeated-a-couple-of-times blue. It is split around the eye, and THE CLOUDS ARE IN A WAVE SHAPE. Not hurricane, but have you ever seen marbled icing? Google Image it. And so, at 5:59 PM, the sky tires of holding lots of water and releases it onto our car dramatically, reminding me of the time my friend and I were stuck in the middle of a field in her neighborhood with nothing but a flimsy paper map. There was a flash of lightning and a clap of thunder and it began to pour, like in movies. Our map dissolved, and we got to her house soaked literally to the bone. I was calm throughout the entire thing, though. Oh, you beg to differ?

Anyway, the laundry was okay because most of it was under the eaves and so only a pair of my dad's pants got a splatter of rain on them. But I am so totally writing about this for a what-I-did-on-summer-vacation-paper.

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha. my dad just emailed me from Bishop California (where it is unberably hot) telling me it had done nothing but rain the entire 3 days he had been there so far (which is odd cause i consider that place a semi-dessert,) and he had gotten a sunburn, IN THE RAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha!!! Yes, you can get a sunburn through the clouds. I just feel it when it's sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. why cant it be a whole dessert, evy??

    the annoying thing about sunburn in the rain is that all your sunscreen washed off and instead of floating as a filmy layer in the pool its a big slimy glob of filmy sunscreen-water in a puddle around your feet.

    something similar happened to me- not about the rain, about the clouds- we were driving along when a wall of storm cloud came up. the sky was purple, then there was a line of silver around the clouds (silver lining, see?) and then there were rays of light shining from throung the clouds- i couldent see where they were coming from, it was like a renaissance painting of angels descending, it was very pretty. and then it started pouring with rain and i coulent see the road.

    only have to switch the letters- pouring with rain, roaring with pain.
    whoops! slip o' the tounge! makes me think of the wicked witch of the west. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lolz. You make me laugh, Sophie. Except my grandmother gave me the scientific name for the rays of sunshine and kinda ruined it. . . but I love your silver lining!

    ReplyDelete